Just arrived back from a 3 day trip west. Stopped with Parky and his family at Porthcothan and managed a couple of surfs at Watergate yesterday evening and on Monday. Waves weren't anything to get too excited about, particularly yesterday, but it's the same old story of at least getting wet.
Ben had a try out on a minimal and you could see he may benefit from moving onto one to gain more technique and confidence. His first surf on Monday evening had been a frustrating one with only one notable ride in a couple of hours. There again it was a messy 2' onshore slop, and it had been a gap of some 3 months since his last waves. Yesterday he fared a lot better in a cleaner smaller wave on the mini', before what swell there was totally died on falling tide. Another point of note was Parky's lad, Lewis, who managed to get out back for the first time ever on Monday evening.
Tuesday was spent house hunting in 'Zance which was the main purpose of the trip after all. One or two more properties with potential as you'd hope for, and news on the way back of another viewer tomorrow who may re-ignite the hope. Post back later....
100 not out. [Blog post number 100]
No news on move front unfortunately but am heading west again tomorrow with Ben to view and hopefully get in for a surf or two as well. Had one potential buyer come and go and experienced the cut throat nature of the property market in Zance too. Hanging in though...laters
Despite missing what could have been the best of it, I made the call to go for a surf at Sandilands around lunchtime; knowing that this would take in the high tide period. Naips had texted to say he was going over too, and also rang later as I was making my way over to report a 2' and slightly messy wave. I called in at the Hutt on the way to see if there was anything better there; maybe the banks were more suited for a high tide surf. They weren't, but besides, the number of anglers there [and at Chapel so we heard later] was off putting.
Was suited up and in just before 1pm, though to begin with the slight onshore was making it tricky getting positioned just right for take offs. As a result, the wave count ended up very poor. In fact the sum of the first half hour was only one worthwhile ride! As HT came and went though, conditions did slightly improve when the breeze dropped totally, leaving a smaller but glassy wave that was far easier getting into. I'd moved up the beach by this time and found a pleasant left peak to play with on my own. However, by 3ish the sets were fewer and far between, and I decided to call it a day. Time to get head into Penzance gear ready for tomorrow. Seems my next post here could be doubly significant; not only will it be the 100th 'blog' entry, but also may bring news of our long awaited move west. Fingers crossed please folks...
Could the long wait be over? On Monday evening I set off to Brox's to crash for the night before flying down to Newquay the following morning, for a couple of days at 'zance to view some properties. At the same time we have a couple coming for a second look at our house which is promising in itself. Maybe the timing of this trip was inspired..only time will tell. Either way I shall take the wettie with me on the off chance of taking up the offer of a loan of Gav's board while I'm there. [Trusting fool - bearing in mind the anniversary almost of breaking someone else's at the Longboard Clinic
Before that though, is the prospect of a surf tomorrow with the promise of some more east coast waves. Sounds as if there may have been something today too, though I was otherwise occupied. To be truthful, with the build up of anticipation now very high, I could do with a surf to release some of that energy. Will let you know...